The Club competed from about 1810 and raced at regattas in the Thames Valley and at Henley but was formally founded at a dinner held at the Marlow Town football club in 1871, crews had been competing under the Marlow Rowing Club name for many years prior to the official founding of the Club.
The Club’s first major win following its “official” formation was at Henley Royal Regatta in 1872 when it won the Town Challenge Cup for Fours. The Club won it four further times consecutively between 1874 and 1877 and on the last occasion the competition was raced in 1883. In the late Victorian period, prominent local families such as the Boytons, Claytons, Higginsons and Wethereds supported the Club and attracted friends from the universities and London to row on the Marlow and Cookham Reaches. They were very successful in competition although 5 members of the major trophy winning crew of 1913/14 became casualties in the First World War.